Those who have previously bought a flat from the HDB or taken a CPF Housing Grant will have to pay a resale levy when they next buy a flat from the HDB. The resale levy is meant to reduce the subsidy on the second subsidised flat so as to maintain a fair allocation of public housing subsidies between first- and second-timer citizen families. You may use the Resale Levy Calculator to find out the amount of levy payable.
Amount Payable under the Revised Resale Levy Policy
The amount of resale levy is graded according to the flat type of the flat owners’ first subsidised flat. Under the revised policy, flat owners whose first subsidised flat is a 2-room flat will pay a resale levy of $15,000. Those whose first subsidised flat is a 3-room, 4-room, 5-room and Executive flat will pay a resale levy of $30,000, $40,000, $45,000 and $50,000 respectively when they purchase a second subsidised flat.
|First Subsidised Flat Type||Amount of Resale Levy Payable under the Revised Policy (From 3 Mar 2006*)|
* only applicable for those who submit their resale application and book a 2nd subsidised flat on/after 3 March 2006.
Which Resale Levy Policy applies to you
The revised resale levy has been implemented from 03 Mar 2006. The revised resale levy policy will apply to 2nd-timer applicants who book their 2nd subsidised flat from HDB and submit their resale application to sell their first subsidised flat, both of which must be on or after 3 March 2006.
The following flat owners will come under the Previous Resale Levy Policy:
- Booked a second subsidised flat or an Executive Condominium unit from the developer before 3 Mar 2006. This is regardless of whether they have sold or submitted a resale application to sell the first subsidised flat, or
- Sold the first subsidised flat and opted for deferred resale levy, or
- Submitted a resale application to HDB before 3 March 2006 for the sale of their first subsidised flat
Amount Payable under the Previous Resale Levy Policy
Below are the charges under the Previous Resale Levy Policy, i.e. based on resale price or 90% of market valuation, whichever is higher:
|Flat Type||Resale Levy payable by family grant recipient||+Resale Levy payable by singles/half grant recipient|
|2-room||*10% / 15%||*5% / 7.5%|
|5-room & Executive||25%||12.5%|
*2-room flat sellers pay a lower rate, i.e. 10% or 5%, only if they buy a bigger flat direct from HDB.
+These resale levy rates apply only to sellers of flats previously bought with singles grant and who submit their resale applications on or after 15 Sep 2004
Resale Levy Payable by Single Grant recipients
Regardless of the applicability of Revised or Previous Resale Levy Policy, single citizens, who have purchased resale flats with the lower CPF Housing Grant for Singles, need to pay only half the levy amount when they subsequently form a family and buy or take over the ownership of a second subsidised flat.
Making Payment for the Resale Levy
The resale levy payable is determined at the point of booking of the second subsidised flat. The payment of resale levy is regardless of the type of ownership (i.e. joint-tenancy or tenancy-in-common) and the share of interest in the flat.
If you are buying your second subsidised flat, you can:
- Pay the resale levy immediately at the point of resale, i.e. when selling your subsidised flat or
- Defer the payment until you buy another flat from HDB. If you come under the previous resale levy policy and opt for this, an interest at the prevailing rate of 5% per annum will be charged.
You can pay the Resale Levy with either/combination of the following:
- with your sale proceeds or
- HDB’s mortgage financing is not extended for the payment of the resale levy
|If you pay at point of your resale transaction, i.e. when selling your subsidised flat||
Determining If Your First HDB Is A Subsidised Flat
- Bought, taken over ownership (by way of gift or otherwise) acquired an interest in, sold or transferred (by way of gift or otherwise) a Studio Apartment or flat direct from HDB, a HDB Resale Flat bought under the CPF Housing Grant scheme, DBSS flat or EC unit.
- Taken other forms of housing subsidy (such as taken benefits under the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS), privatisation of HUDC estate etc.).
- Unlocked part of the housing equity under the Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS) or transferred a flat under the LBS
- Surrendered a Studio Apartment or a flat previously bought from HDB, an HDB Resale flat bought under the CPF Housing Grant scheme or a DBSS flat.
Last Updated on 6th of May 2014.
Book Appointment To View The Visionaire EC Showflat & get the Best Direct Developer Price, Full E-Brochure & Enjoy Up To $30,000 CPF Grant! (Limited Time). No Obligations At Best Possible Price!
Register yourself below to get a copy of The Visionaire EC Floor Plans, Brochure, Pricing and Latest Updates!
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.